Pathology or clinical laboratory provides diagnostic facilities for specimens of blood, body fluids, infected material and biopsies, or organs removed at operation. It is under the direction of a medically qualified pathologist who is responsible for technical services in the divisions of bacteriology and serology, blood transfusion and haematology, clinical chemistry, cytology and histopathology.
Modern auto-analysers ensure a rapid response to routine measurements in clinical chemistry, serology and microbiology, where automated microbial identification, very rapid antibiotic sensitivities and monitoring of blood cultures are available.
The Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Department adheres to the International Clinical Laboratory Standards (ICLS) for most of its procedures. In addition, the Department follows a host of laboratory standards and clinical practice guidelines listed below:
- American Association of Blood Banks (AABB)
- College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry (NACB)
- The British Columbia “Minimal Reporting Guidelines” for the treatment of cancer patients
- Ontario Association of Medical Laboratories
- British Columbia Medical Association
- CDC Hospital Infection Program fact sheet
We would like to hear from you. Please share with us what do you think of out service.Contact us
Please press on the button below to request an appointment inRequest Appointment